Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Photo Tag

Sam tagged us to play a photo game. The rules are to pick the tenth picture out of your first folder and share its story.

I'm breaking the rules. The tenth picture in my first folder is of me and my roommates during our first year of college. I have toilette paper wrapped around my head and draping from my ears...

So we're going to folder number two!


Much better.

I took this picture eight years ago on my first backpacking trip. (Yes, on a trusty disposable camera.)

This pond sits somewhere between Bear Trap Lake and Rainbow Meadow, just outside of Yosemite. (The actual name of the meadow isn't Rainbow Meadow, but everyone I know who travels through it calls it that. Just don't call me on it if you're on a trip in California and can't find it on a map.) This section of wilderness was just incorporated and protected as part of the Hoover Wilderness last year.

This trip was my catalyst to a lifetime of longing for wild spaces. While I can't look back and point to single events that changed the course of my life, this is one of those experiences that makes me wonder.

Where would I be today if I hadn't walked those miles, if I hadn't climbed that boulder, to watch the reflection of rocky peaks and open sky?

5 comments:

Sam said...

That's a gorgeous picture. I'm glad you broke the rules and showed it to us!

You sure do have a love for the wilderness - you're lucky to experience it so often.

Kathy Mocharnuk said...

very cool, and what a great background behind the picture.

Sara said...

Stunning! Those mountains out west are unbelievable. Breathtaking. Although part of me really wants to see the toilet paper photo! LOL.

KB said...

I spent a ton of time in the Sierra mountains outside Yosemite, and it does change a person. What a great photo and memory!

Almost all my Sierra photos were taken with film... so I won't find them in iPhoto until I scan them. Hmmm.

D.K. Wall said...

Uh - we think the first picture should be posted to. Just because.