Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Spring Hills

Just as Kona hopped out of the car for our morning Ridge run, another car pulled up to the trailhead. There seems to be more hikers out this week with the spring holiday. The unexpected car spooked Kona. She spent much of the morning with a tense posture, but nerves wouldn't stop her from exploring.
I was the cheerleading squad. Each time Kona stopped to sniff I gave out a, "Woo-hoo! Go Kona girl!" I was too busy cheering to notice a little wooden sign. See it?
Here's a closeup. Kona soon buried her head into those nice green bushes. "Woo-hoo!" I kept with the theme.
The plants on our Ridge announced spring this morning. I saw my first poppy of the season. These are California's state flowers. They sometimes blanket hillsides, painting the landscape gold. This one stood on its own.
Kona had bursts of enthusiasm mixed with her nervousness. During a brave moment, she swished into tall grass. She has developed an obsession with lizards and seemed disappointed to find nothing during this search.
As we headed into the second half of our run, Kona gained some spunk, but she wasn't relaxed enough to stop for a picture. Off we went.
We soon came to a discovery we made over the weekend. Kona stopped to sniff and then pee on this pile of coyote fur. There was so much hair it looked like someone had taken a brush to the coyote's undercoat. This was only part of the pile.
On our way back to the car, I stopped to marvel at green hills. Living in such an arid climate, I know the days to enjoy flowers and grass are numbered. I'm glad we may get another dose of rain in the next couple days.
Mystery mouth update
Kona's jaw has improved. She started to give full yawns on Sunday. She seemed so excited to have a functioning mouth again that she spent much of Sunday evening eating everything in the yard. She chomped grass, sticks, collard greens. She then threw up a pile of foliage during the middle of the night and woke up the next morning with-what we call around here-a serious case of the stinky bum.

She's getting better.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Haha. Woohoo Kona!!
I'm glad her mouth is better. Hope the mystery illness will go away.

Roxanne @ Champion of My Heart said...

Yikes! Poison oak? I hope her nose is OK.

Right after we got Lilly, Ginko's face blew up like a balloon. It was the weirdest thing. We worried he was allergic to her spit because she did so much appeasement kissing, but it turned out she had nipped him at some point, and he was infected. We called him G.C. Puffinstuff for a while, until the swelling went down.

(That's a reference only girls of a certain age will get.)

I planted some of those poppies. A friend had given me seeds. They came back a couple years, then pooped out. Pretty, though.

Stella said...

Yea for Kona and her workable jaw!

Beautiful green where you are and I love the golden poppies. We are still too cold here in Mn for flowers and such. But it won't be too much longer.

Cheers and hugs,

Jo, who knows Puffinstuff
and Stella, who doesn't.

Sam said...

We've started seeing signs of spring here, too. It's no wonder, with all the rain we've been getting.

I, too, have been thinking about how the increased amount of people home from school and work for Spring Break might affect our walks. Today was rainy and windy, so we wimped out, but I wonder what tomorrow will bring.

PS - I got an e-mail from your account a few days ago, but it showed up blank. I'm not sure if that was the computer being weird or if you tried to send me something but it didn't go through. I hope my info was helpful in some way!

Sara said...

I'm glad Kona's mouth is improving. We have bouts of "stinky butt" here sometimes too! LOL.

It'll be at least a month and a half before poppies bloom around here. They are so pretty.

I know I'm going to have to get up extra early this weekend to walk the dogs in the cemetery. Everyone will be out putting spring flowers on their relatives graves. If I want Oreo to have a relaxed walk (doctor's orders), we have to do it when no strange people are around!.

Kathy Mocharnuk said...

wow, so that was a little sign that would have been good to be red with some flashing lights so it would be noticed earlier, LOL. Glad the mouth thing seems better, I wonder what Kona did to her mouth???? Glad it sounds like it might have healed on its own what ever happened!

We have california poppies in our yard and I love them, and love they mean spring...although they said our area out here in the desert might get snow today, so guess there always has to be one last hurrah for winter.

Dawn said...

Spring in California is so much prettier and earlier than ours here in Michigan! Glad Kona's mouth is better! All that green stuff must have tasted GOOD!