Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Help?

Kona snorted something up her nose yesterday. Around here, the bad culprit is a foxtail. I went into the vet to ask if he thought she should be put under to investigate. (He's the type of vet who doesn't directly tell you what he thinks you should do.) His response was that 95% of the time that he looks for nasal foxtails, he finds one.

He couldn't do the procedure this afternoon, so I can go back in the morning. I'm hesitant because after Kona's initial violent sneezing (yesterday morning) and some off and on snorts later in the day, she hasn't had any symptoms. I hear that that doesn't mean the foxtail is gone. I also hear that it is possible for the dog to sneeze the sticker out.

I know it's better to be safe than sorry, but I also don't take anesthesia lightly. This also is a lengthy procedure, so she'll have to be out for awhile.

Any words of advice (get your butt back to the vet tomorrow?) would be appreciated. Please send us good mojo, even a routine vet visit is stomach turning for both me and Kona.

6 comments:

Sam said...

Oh, man! Poor Kona. That doesn't sound like its very fun. I have no advice for you because I've never been through anything like that, but now you've got me a little concerned because Marge has been reverse sneezing a lot the past couple of days. I guess I better keep an eye on it.

Keep us updated - we're sending out good thoughts your way!

Sara said...

Oh, that stinks. I have no experience with foxtails, nor have I ever heard of a dog with the same problem.

That said, I tend to watch my dogs, and if they seem ok, not showing signs of discomfort, I minimize medical procedures, which can be stressful in themselves.

But, I don't know what damage the foxtail could cause if there is one in her nose.

Boy, I'm a big help, aren't I?

My advice, go with your gut. It's usually right, and you really know your dog well.

LauraK said...

Gosh, that's terrible! Poor Kona girl!

Like Sam and Sara, I'm not full of advice- but I would say to go with your gut like Sara. I've known dogs to get foxtails in their eardrums, but not their noses. Ouch!

We'll be thinking about you two and hope everything turns out ok. That's a tough call, especially if she's acting fine now. Best of luck to you!

Lindsay said...

I haven't ever had to deal with something like that, but I can totally relate to your worry about putting her under. On the flip side, you'll save yourself a lot of endless worrying if you get it done and find out for sure one way or the other!

Unknown said...

Oh no! Our prayers to you and Kona. I hope that foxtail magically appears!! Anaesthasia wouldn't be very nice at all. :(

Kathy Mocharnuk said...

wow, we know about those foxtails, and I do not know what I would do...but those are so nasty if they get stuck.....poor Kona, I HATE FOXTAILS. If you do not get it checked I would watch for any signs at all in the next couple of weeks, guess because you are looking for the signs it would be more likely you would catch that the foxtail was there...that is probably what I would do if it was me. I hate when things are not just clear cut...DO THIS NOW, this well, you could do this..or you could do that...stuff drives me nuts!